October Numbers: CNN…
CNN is noting its October ratings…
CNN #1 in Prime Time Demo for Second Straight Month; First Time in 14 Years
Ranks 2nd in Total Day for 16th Consecutive Month
Network Sees Most Prime Growth in Cable News vs. Last Year
CNN was #1 in cable news in the prime time demo in October, topping Fox News for the second straight month. The last time CNN beat Fox News for two consecutive months was 14 years ago (October-November 2001). CNN also beat MSNBC in prime time in both total viewers and the demo. In Total Day, CNN ranked #2 in cable news in total viewers and the demo, ahead of MSNBC for the 16th straight month. During dayside (9a-4p) CNN easily topped MSNBC by 46% in total viewers (539k vs. 369k) and had a 107% advantage in the demo 25-54 (122k vs. 59k). CNN also ranked No. 1 across cable news in weekend primetime among adults 25-54.
CNN Program Highlights (October, 2015):
· CNN’s New Day (6-9a) tied with MSNBC’s Morning Joe in the demo this month (100k). In the last 16 months, New Day has beaten Joe for 15 months and tied once. Across cable news versus year-ago, Fox & Friends was the only program down among both total viewers and the demo, posting the largest and only double digit declines in P25-54 (-14%).
· The Lead with Jake Tapper (4p) ranked #2 in total viewers (596k) and the demo (129k), growing +5% in total viewers from a year ago.
· The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (5p-7p) ranked #2 in total viewers (614k) and the demo (162k), increasing +4% from last year in total viewers.
· Erin Burnett Outfront (7p) ranked #2 in the demo (178k), easily topping MSNBC’s Hardball (138k). EBOF grew +3% in total viewers compared to a year ago.
· AC 360 (8p) ranked #2 in both total viewers (795k) and the demo (210k) easily topping MSNBC’s Chris Hayes (725k/136k). 360 grew an impressive +40% in total viewers, the most growth across cable news in the hour, and +8% in the demo vs. last October.
· CNN Tonight with Don Lemon (10pm) ranked #2, topping MSNBC (139k vs. 132k) in the demo 25-54. Lemon was up +6% vs. last year.
· Smerconish (9a) was #2 in its time period on Saturday mornings in both total viewers 545k) and the demo (125k) increasing 11%/13% respectively. Smerconish also ranks #2 at 6pm.
· State of the Union with Jake Tapper (9a) ranked #2 in total viewers (500k) easily topping MSNBC and among 25-54 (105k vs. MSNBC’s 75k). SOTU also ranked #2 at noon in both total viewers and the demo 25-54.
· Fareed Zakaria GPS ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo at both 10a (621k/135k) and 1p (495k/94k).
· Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 in total viewers (507k) and among 25-54 (114k).
Democratic Candidates’ Debate:
· The October 13th airing of the debate ranked #1 in all of television that day in total viewers, 25-54 and 18-34 among Live+SD.
· The debate ranked third among all CNN telecasts on record (back to 1993) in total viewers.
· Among Live+3 data, CNN’s Democratic Candidates’ debate ultimately drew nearly 16 million viewers.
CNN Original Series Highlights (October, 2015):
· Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Season 6 to-date (9/27-10/25/15; five episodes): Across cable news in its time period, ranks #1 among both 25-54 and 18-34, outperforming the combined delivery of Fox News and MSNBC in each demo. Bourdain ranks #2 among Total Viewers and more than triples MSNBC.
· Somebody’s Gotta Do It with Mike Rowe Season 3 to-date (9/27-10/25/15; five episodes): Ranks #1 in cable news in its time period among both 25-54 and 18-34, outperforming the combined 18-34 delivery of Fox News and MSNBC. SGDI also ranked #2 among total viewers, more than doubling MSNBC.
· This is Life with Lisa Ling Season 2 to-date (9/30-10/21/15; three episodes): Tops MSNBC, ranking #2 among both key demos 25-54 and 18-34 on Wednesday nights at 9pm.
Data is a blend of Nielsen Live+SD and the more inclusive Live+3 and final Live+7 data when available.
This entry was posted on October 27, 2015 at 5:13 pm and is filed under Ratings Related. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.